Ypsilanti firefighters have a busy night
Ann Arbor, MI – The Ypsilanti Fire Department was kept busy Saturday night.
It began at 6:42 p.m. when firefighters were called to Dining Commons 3 at Eastern Michigan University when three student workers experienced breathing problems after mixing chemicals in a bucket that caused intense fumes, according to Capt. Michelle Stanbury. The three were taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital for treatment.
At 8:35 p.m., firefighters were called back to EMU, this time to Phelps Hall, where they rescued five people from a stalled elevator. There were no medical issues, as they’d been there just 15 to 20 minutes, Stanbury said.
Then at 8:43 p.m., firefighters were called to the Screaming Eagle Pub at 517 W. Cross St. after a customer used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire that had started in a storage closet. Some mops and brooms had gotten too close to the water heater, Stanbury said. A bartender smelled smoke, before the customer stepped in to help. The restaurant was evacuated.
The fire caused about $4,000 worth of damage, she said.